***THE SECTION 8 WAIT LIST IS CURRENTLY CLOSED.***
What is Section 8?
The Section 8 (Housing Choice Voucher) Program is a federal funded program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe and sanitary housing in the private market. The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program.
Housing choice vouchers are administered locally by public housing agencies. The agencies receive federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the voucher program.
Section 8 Payment Standards in 2014
*Effective November 1, 2013*
How to Find a Rental Unit
Questions to Ask Prospective Landlord(s)
Steps For New Move-in Participants
1. Request for Tenancy Approval (form provided by PHA) MUST be completed and signed by tenant and landlord, then returned to PHA for further processing.
2. The tenant must bring RFTA form to the Peoria Housing Authority and an inspector will schedule an inspection after affordability calculations.
3. The tenant and/or the landlord MUST ATTEND the scheduled move-in inspection.
4. The Peoria Housing Authority Leasing Staff will contact the voucher holder to schedule an appointment to process all necessary paperwork for past move-in inspections within 5-7 days.
5. If the unit fails inspection, the Peoria Housing Authority will process a notice of unit deficiencies to the landlord. The landlord must correct the deficiencies and contact the PHA to reschedule the inspection.